Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Prophecy Quiz

by Jack Van Deventer (a postmillennialist)

Select the best answer:

1. Jesus died to save
a. The faithful remnant
b. The elect, which are few in number
c. The world

2. In terms of historical significance, Jesus’ death
a. Was the beginning of defeat for the Church
b. Was the beginning of victory for the Church
c. Had little or no earthly relevance

3. Which prophecy author has profoundly shaped the thinking of the Church in America with respect to “end times,” having sold 38 million books, yet his/her books are known for their frequency of false predictions?
a. Edgar Cayce
b. Jeanne Dixon
c. Jack Van Impe
d. Madeline Murray O’Hare

4. Satan…
a. Rules the world
b. Is alive and well on planet earth
c. Controls the world’s systems
d. All of the above
e. None of the above

5. Which of the following people in history have been identified as the Beast or the Antichrist?
a. Nero Caesar;
b. Frederick Hohenstaufen II (1194-1250);
c. Pope John XXII;
d. King George III;
e. Napoleon;
f. Adolph Hitler;
g. Pope Pius XII;
h. John F. Kennedy;
i. Pope John XXIII;
j. Henry Kissinger;
k. Moshe Dayan;
l. Anwar Sadat;
m. Jimmy Carter;
n. Ronald Reagan;
o. Pat Robertson;
p. King Juan Carlos (Spain);
q. Sun Myung Moon;
r. Mikhail Gorbachev;
s. Saddam Hussein;
t. Mohammar Kaddafi;
u. All of the Above

6. Of the names above, which one fits most precisely with the scriptural data for the beast of Revelation?

7. The word “thousand” in the Bible always refers to a literal number 1000.
a. True
b. False

8. The Great Commission (Matt 28:19—“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost”) will be fulfilled in history.
a. True
b. False

9. The mystery time gap inserted between the 69th and 70th weeks of Daniel by dispensationalists is an example of literal interpretation.
a. True
b. False

10. Prophecies in the Bible are always fulfilled literally.
a. True
b. False

11. The tribulation is future.
a. True
b. False

12. Despite Christ’s “once for all” sacrifice for sin, dispensational premillennialists believe that blood sacrifices will be reinstituted during the millennium.
a. True
b. False


1c. Jesus died to save the world (the whole enchilada). John 1:29, 3:17, 4:42, 12:32, II Cor. 5:19, I John 2:1-2.

2b. If you answered “b,” you’re a postmillennialist, or at least you think like one. All others (premil, amil) believe that the church will decline and apostatize.

3. You're right, I was just messin’ with your head. Everyone knows it’s Hal Lindsey.

4e. None of the above. Satan is condemned (John 16:11), driven out (John 12:31), resisted and fleeing (James 4:7), overcome (I John 2:14, 4:4), crushed (Rom. 16:20), and progressively destroyed (Heb. 2:14).

5u. You guessed it: all of the above. Pretty sad, huh? But rest assured, as long as people keep buying “end times prophecy books” the predictions will continue.

6. No, Bill Clinton is not on the list. Consider Nero. For more info, see Kenneth Gentry’s The Beast of Revelation.

7. False. If you said ‘True,’ who owns the cattle on all the other hills (Psalms 50:10)?

8. True. Jesus (not Satan) has all authority in heaven and on earth (Matt 28:18). The nations will be discipled. Not a few nations, not a few individuals within each nation. Jesus said the nations. Psalm 2:8, “Ask of me, and I shall give thee the nations for thine inheritance.”

9. If you answered “True,” you inhaled. And locusts in Revelation are really Cobra helicopters.

10. False. Of 97 O.T. prophecies referenced in the N.T. only 34 of 97 (35%) were fulfilled literally. The other 65% were types or analogies.

11. False. The tribulation is past. Jesus said the tribulation would occur within a generation of the time He was speaking (Matthew 24:21, 34). John informed his readers that “the tribulation” was in effect at the time of his writing (Rev. 1:9).

12. True. Yep, this is pretty embarrassing, but that’s a fundamental reason why dispensationalists want to rebuild the temple. For dispensational justification of blood sacrifices in the millennium see, for example, Dwight Pentecost Things to Come, p. 517-531. In contrast, Hebrews 7:27, says “[Jesus, our high priest] need not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.”